The Rye PD want you to stop your idling ways.
Don't read this story while you are driving. Pull over, and turn the car OFF. Idling longer than three minutes in the city of Rye is illegal.
Read the 411 from the police department:
"As cooler weather approaches, the City of Rye Police Department reminds our residents and visitors that §45-1 of the Rye City Code prohibits idling a vehicle engine longer than three minutes. There are a number of reasons to avoid unnecessary idling – especially when a vehicle is unattended:
• Idling vehicles can be easily stolen or can cause damage if accidentally engaged (This is especially worrisome if a child is left alone in an idling car.)
• Vehicle exhaust is hazardous to human health, especially that of children.
• Idling wastes resources and damages the environment.
• The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has identified idling as a major contributor to particulate material emissions.
• Idling more than 30 seconds burns more gas than it takes to re-start the engine.
• Today’s cars DO NOT need to be warmed up, except in extremely cold conditions (below 0° F).
• It is illegal and you can be summonsed.
As we approach Fall and Winter, it is a good time to think about the legal, practical, and environmental impacts of unnecessary idling.
Please contribute to the health of the environment – and the safety of your vehicle – by complying with the law.
-City of Rye Police Department
21 McCullough Pl
Rye, NY 10580