The 88th edition of The Game – the Rye Harrison football rivalry – is this Sunday, October 1st at 1:30pm at Harrison. The Rye Garnets have the opportunity to take the lead in the all-time series vs the Harrison Huskies for the first time since 1966. The record stands at 42-42-3 overall dating back to 1929.
(PHOTO: 2016's Beat Harrison t-shirt.)
But due to scheduling around the Yom Kippur holiday, some the the traditions surrounding "The Game" are different:
- The competition starts on Thursday when our JV Garnets host the huskies at 4:15pm at Nugent Stadium.
- A pep-rally will be held at 1:45pm the following day outside at the stadium.
- Due to the school's observance of a religious holiday all festivities on Friday must come to a close before 5pm.
- There will be no bonfire this year.
- The rose ceremony for senior moms is moved to the following Friday night's pregame vs. Lincoln HS on Oct. 6 at 6:45pm.
- The boys will have their traditional Rye Firehouse Spaghetti Dinner on Saturday at 6pm.
- The Garnet Alumni/Player breakfast will be held Sunday morning at 8am at the middle school multi-purpose room.
- The Game kicks off at 1:30pm Sunday at Harrison HS. Parking is available in the lots at either 550 or 600 Mamaroneck Ave. Shuttle services will be provided from the lot to the field. Please consider car-pooling.
According to the Rye Football Association, "Many have expressed some disappointment concerning the many changes to the traditions surrounding the Game. Please know that the Athletic Department is committed to making the best of an unfortunate scheduling perfect storm of holidays, back to school nights, and religious observance. Mike Arias is already lobbying section one schedulers to restore the Game to a non-holiday weekend next year. That will allow for a tradition schedule of events."