The Rye Arts Center and LawnChair Theatre are pleased to announce their first LawnChair Theatre Cabaret. Everybody Knows I’m Guilty is a cabaret concert of two of the master songwriters of our time, Leonard Cohen and Randy Newman.
Newman and Cohen have each explored love, loss, religion, and politics, in finely-crafted songs that have the theatricality of short plays. In Everybody Knows I’m Guilty, Cohen’s spirituality and honesty and Newman’s skepticism and irony work together, as our company of performers present the best of these two musical poets.
Peter Green, Artistic Director of LawnChair Theatre and Rye Middle School social worker, is partnering with Musical Director Kinny Landrum, a composer, and keyboardist who has worked with Leonard Cohen and is best known for his work as the synthesist on the Grammy winning soundtrack of Twin Peaks.
Audiences will be delighted by the eight performers who remind us that the human voice is an instrument that can convey beauty while tapping into deep emotional truth. All were professionally trained as actors or singers.
- Jeffrey Aldana: Port Chester native and international recording artist.
- Lynne Barasch: South Salem resident, actor and singer-songwriter.
- Matthew Casey: teacher for the Port Chester schools and the Carver Center. Matthew has performed on multiple occasions for the Downtown Theatre Cabaret in Bridgeport, and played Demetrius in LawnChair Theatre’s 2017 A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- Anthony Malchar: Yonkers resident who has performed at Westchester Broadway Theatre and played the title role in Curtain Call’s 2017 production of The Who’s Tommy.
- Rachel Schulte: Greenwich Academy drama teacher and artistic director of the Lipstick Project, a Fairfield county theatre group dedicated to providing all-female productions. Rachel played Helena in LawnChair Theatre’s 2017 production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- Lisa Spielman: Rockland county resident, board member of Nyack’s Elmwood Playhouse and frequent performer in Westchester and Fairfield Counties. By day, Lisa is a Ph.D. research psychologist and biostatistician.
- Julie Thaxter-Gourlay: Port Chester-based actor who has frequently been seen in LawnChair Theatre productions and onstage throughout Westchester and Fairfield Counties. Julie’s last LawnChair Theatre role was as Puck in A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- Danielle Valdes: resident of Briarcliff Manor, self-described mother, voice teacher, musical director, recording artist, and certified fitness and kickboxing instructor.
Tickets are available for Friday, January 26 and Friday, February 2 at 8:00 pm at The Rye Arts Center, located at 51 Milton Road. Tickets can be purchased by calling the 914-967-0700 or online.
Wine and beer will be available for sale.