Playland Amusement Park’s 90th anniversary season starts this Saturday, May 12, starting at 11am.
“Since 1928 Playland has been providing family fun and has been a summer tradition for generations of families,” said Rye resident and County Executive George Latimer. “As we celebrate the park’s 90th anniversary, we invite you to enjoy some of the original historic rides like the iconic Dragon Coaster or the Whip, take a stroll on our boardwalk and take in the sights of beautiful Long Island Sound, or try some funnel cake or cotton candy.”
The celebration begins with strolling entertainment at the Fountain Plaza at 11 a.m., followed by the traditional parade with the Westchester Brassmen Drum and Bugle Corps accompanied by County Executive Latimer and other local dignitaries and Playland’s mascot, Coaster the Dragon. Playland’s 1920s-era Chevrolet fire truck, originally used by the Playland Fire Brigade in the ‘20s and ‘30s, will be a feature of the parade as well.
The park’s major and Kiddyland rides will open at noon.
Special opening day admission is $15, which is good for unlimited rides until the park closes at 8 p.m. Admissions go on sale at 11 a.m.
Grab a seat in front of the Music Tower Theater stage to hear the Celebration Entertainment DJ play hit sounds from the ‘70s,’80s,‘90s and today from noon to 5 p.m.
Playland’s Kiddyland DJ will also entertain with the “Play it DJ” show in three performances at 1 p.m., 3 p.m., and 5 p.m. where kids can move, groove and be smooth as our DJ plays their favorite dance tunes.
Representatives from Metro-North will be on hand with Metro Man, talking about train safety. Learn about the Child ID program from representatives of New York Life.
- Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 13 – Moms ride free; $15 unlimited rides for everyone and a raffle for all the moms.
- Police Appreciation Day, Saturday May 19; active police officers ride free; $15 unlimited rides for everyone.
- Playland’s 90th Anniversary Celebration, Saturday, May 26: $15 unlimited rides for everyone, featuring a ceremony at the main stage at 12:30 p.m., onstage DJ, strolling entertainment, and giveaways.
- Season Passes:
- $95 for unlimited rides all season, with a $15 discount for Westchester residents. Purchase four or more and save 10%.
- $35 for spectator admission all season (no rides), for non-residents of Westchester County.
- Acceptable proof of Westchester residency is a Westchester County Park Pass; New York State driver's license or non-driver I.D.; or a photo I.D. or report card from a Westchester County school.
Playland’s pre-season schedule is noon to 8 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays, until Memorial Day weekend, after which the spring schedule begins. For the season’s schedule go to PlaylandPark.org or call the park at (914) 813-7000. Become a Facebook fan at Playland Park – Westchester County, and @Playland_Park on Twitter and at Playland Park on Instagram.
Parking is $10 and $15 on holidays, special events and concert days.
Opening day is sponsored by News 12 Westchester.