The Rye City Council approved the school system’s proposed “graduation car parade” at its meeting Wednesday night. Rye schools also sought and won approval from the county.
The route has been slightly altered from the original proposal, after the city council approved the parade to go the “wrong” way up Hewlett Avenue.
Rye school boss Eric Byrne had seen similar types of car parades with teachers for students (there have been similar parades at Milton and Rye Middle School). “While we are disappointed that we cannot hold the traditional Rye High School graduation ceremony on May 31st, we sought to find a fitting way, given the circumstances, to celebrate the achievements of the Class of 2020, and to bring the entire city of Rye out to cheer them on,” Byrne told MyRye.com.
“We are deeply appreciative of all that Mayor Cohn, the City Council, Westchester County, County Executive George Latimer, Police Commissioner Robert Falk, and City Manager Greg Usry have done to help this idea become a reality.”
The graduation car parade will be held on Sunday, May 31, 2020 from 2:00pm – 4:00pm.
Here are the turn-by-turn directions for the final approved route:
Gathering Point for Vehicles: Rye Playland Parking Lot
1. Left turn onto Forest Avenue
2. Right turn onto Hewlett Avenue
3. PASS MILTON SCHOOL
4. Right on Milton Avenue
5. Left on Oakland Beach Avenue
6. PASS OSBORN SCHOOL
7. Right on Theall Road
8. Right on Playland Access Drive
9. Left onto Playland Parkway
10. Left onto Midland Avenue
11. PASS MIDLAND SCHOOL
12. Left on Grace Church Street
13. Enter Fireman’s Circle
14. Exit Fireman’s Circle onto Milton Avenue
15. Right onto Parsons Street
16. PASS RYE HIGH SCHOOL and RYE MIDDLE SCHOOL
17. Left onto Boston Post Road
18. Left onto Playland Parkway
19. Return to Rye Playland where car parade will end