Rye Boys Varsity Football shucked Cornwall on Friday, winning 43-22.
“It was an outstanding team effort on both sides of the ball — offensive and defensive,” said Rye Boys Varsity Football Coach Dino Garr. “Tommy Richardson did a great job running the ball. A.J. Miller showed great leadership as quarterback, and there was strong performance by the wide receivers. Defense did a super job at containing Cornwall’s potent offense. This was definitely a total team effort, and the coaching staff is very proud of the way the players rose to the challenge last night.”
Game highlights included:
- AJ Miller C/Att 15/26, Yards 361, Avg 22.4, TDs 4, Int 1
- Shepard Griffiths C/Att 1/2, Yards 44
- Tommy Richardson Carries 15, Yards 149, Avg 10, TDs 2, Long 80
- Giovanni Cavatoni Carries 3, Yards 18, Avg 6
- AJ Miller Carries 5, Yards 13, Avg 2.6
- Jack Mullooly Carries 3, Yards 12, Avg 4
- Shepherd Griffiths Receptions 6, Yards 120, Avg 26.6, TD 2, Long 26
- Rafferty McSweeney Receptions 4, Yards 129, Avg 32.3, TD 1, Long 95
- Charlie Stevens Receptions 2, Yards 59, Avg 11.8, TD 1, Long 40
- Cole Bartlett Receptions 2, Yards 14, Avg 7, Long 10
- Tanner Howson Receptions 1, Yards 44, Average 44, Long 44
- Dalton Boisseau Receptions 1, Yards 44, Avg 44, Long 44
- Giovanni Cavatoni Receptions 1, Yards 12, Avg 12, Long 12
- O. Welburn Total Tackles 6
- C. Saurak Total tackles 4, solo tackles 1, tackles for loss 1
- J. Gonzales Total tackles 4, solo tackles 1, tackles for loss 1
- C. Guazzo Total tackles 3, solo tackles 1
- R. McSweeney Total tackles 2, solo tackles 2
- S. Griffiths Total tackles 2, solo tackles 1
- J. Kessner Total tackles 2, solo tackles 1
- B. Poole Jr. Total tackles 2, solo tackles 1
- A. White Total tackles 2, solo tackles 1
- C. Iuliano Total tackles 2, solo tackles 1
- B. Townsend Total tackles 2, solo tackles 1
- W. Bainbridge Total tackles 1, solo tackles 1
Garnet football travels to Brewster next Friday for a 7pm game.
Cheer Looks to Football & Competitions
The Rye cheerleaders kicked off the first Friday night lights game of the season with a win for the Garnets.
“The team this year consists of almost double the number of brand new athletes compared to returners but they are filled with skill and energy,” said Rye Varsity Cheerleading Coach Melissa Stone. “The cheerleaders are looking forward to this football season but also looking ahead to their competition season this winter.
The team has already earned a bid to the NCA National Championships in Dallas Texas in January. This is going to be a great year for both football and cheer!”