Rye Boys Varsity Football sunk the Clarkstown South Vikings under the lights at Nugent Stadium, hoisting aboard a 26-23 win.
The running backs had big games – Tommy Richardson had 223 yards, and Giovanni Cavatoni had 115 yards. Giovanni also had a game-sealing 20-yd run on a 4th and 4 with 1 min to go on the Clarkstown 45 yard line. Cole Bartlett had a huge 60-yd touchdown catch.
“The Garnets were able to rebound from a tough loss a week before, with a commitment to eliminating mistakes we’ve been making all too frequently including too many penalties,” said Rye Boys Varsity Football Coach Dino Garr.
“Our Offense showed resolve, with more consistent blocking for the execution of the running game,” continued Garr. “The offensive line blocked the best they’ve done all year long and had good support from the running backs. As a result, Tommy Richardson and Gio Cavatoni were given the opportunity to have great performances carrying the ball. Good tackling by the Defense was a major reason for our success. Our Defense played an outstanding game throughout, led by Charlie Saurack, Chris Guazzo, Ben Poole and Bobby Townsend. This was a major factor in stopping the running game from South. The secondary did an outstanding job of containing a potent passing game, including an interception.”
Game highlights included:
- AJ Miller C/Att 8-16, Yards 164, Avg 20.5, TD 1
- Tommy Richardson Carries 22, Yards 223, Avg 10.1, TD 1, Long 61 (61-YD TD, 47 YD run)
- Giovanni Cavatoni Carries 8, Yards 115, Avg 14.4, TD 1, Long 47
- AJ Miller Carries 5, Yards 19, Avg 3.8, Long 9
- Christopher Iuliano Carrries 1, Yards 1, Avg 1.0
- Cole Bartlett Receptions 2, Yards 114, Average 57, TD 1, Long 60
- Jake Kessner Receptions 3, Yards 30, Average 10.0, Long 19
- Rafferty McSweeney Receptions 1, Yards 15, Average 15.0, Long 5
- Dalton Boisseau Receptions 1, Yards 5, Average 5.0, Long 15
- Charlie Saurack Asst Tackles 2, Solo 4, TFL 3
- Chris Guazzo Asst Tackles 1, Solo 1
- Jake Kessner Asst Tackles 1, Solo 1
- Ben Poole Jr. Asst Tackles 1, Solo 1
- Christopher Iuliano Asst Tackles 1, Solo 2
- Will Bainbridge Solo 1
- Jack Acciavatti Asst Tackles 1
- Rafferty McSweeney Solo 1
- Will Fairhurst Solo 2
The Garnet football season is 6-1. Watch the replay. Varsity heads to Lakeland next Friday, October 21st for a 6pm game.
“After a nail biting game, the Rye cheerleaders cheered the boys to another victory!,” said Rye Girls Cheerleading Coach Melissa Stone. “Congratulations to the Garnets on another great win. We are so proud of you. The cheerleaders had an amazing halftime performance. We now turn our attention to the game day competitions that begin next weekend at Yorktown High School.”
Our story was updated Monday, October 17th.