Westchester County’s Department of Environmental Facilities (DEF) will be conducting a Household Recycling Day (HRD) event on Saturday, November 19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Playland Park. The HRD event is a convenient and safe way to dispose of nasty chemicals, electronics and other items not suitable for household garbage collection.
This event is held in conjunction with Rye’s Zero Waste Day, which offers residents an opportunity to donate good condition, gently-used furniture, children’s coats and winter clothing, prescription eyeglasses, lightly-used soccer gear and pet supplies. For specific guidelines and information about donations, visit the County’s recycling site or please call the Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425.
In addition to properly labelled household chemicals, tires, scrap metal, electronics, appliances and other special wastes found in a typical household, residents can bring documents for shredding and expired or unwanted medications for disposal to the November 19 HRD Event. Residents should place items in their trunk or backseat and remain in their vehicles while staff unload vehicles in the drop-off area.
Generally, the following items are accepted for safe disposal or recycling:
Properly labelled household chemicals, such as:
- Household cleaning products
- Most automotive fluids (antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline, but not motor oil)
- Flammable liquids (kerosene, butane, lighter fluid, turpentine)
- Metal, jewelry, and furniture polishes and waxes; wood preservatives
- Fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides
- Photographic and swimming pool chemicals
- Batteries – only vehicle, rechargeable, or button cell
- Textiles- footwear, clothing, linens, leather, small area rugs and handbags
- Latex and oil-based paint, wood stains
- Fluorescent light bulbs & CFLs
- Fire extinguishers
- BBQ propane tanks (up to 20 lbs.)
- Mercury containing devices (thermometers and thermostats)
- Electronic waste (TVs, computer monitors and towers)
- Expired or unwanted medications, both OTC and prescription
- Personal documents for shredding (limit of four file-size boxes per household)
Items that will not be accepted and should not be brought to the Household Recycling Day include, non-rechargeable alkaline and carbon zinc batteries (they can be safely discarded in the trash), motor oil, smoke detectors, cell phones, explosives (flares, fireworks, ammunition), construction debris and hypodermic needles. Also, waste from businesses, schools or other institutions will not be accepted.
If you are unable to attend the HRD Event, you can still dispose of your hard-to-get-rid-of household waste by making a convenient appointment with the County’s Household-Material Recycling Facility (H-MRF), 15 Woods Road, Valhalla. The H-MRF is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. by appointment only, and accepts the same items that are accepted at HRD events. For more information about the H-MRF or to make an appointment, visit online or call (914) 813-5425.