The following was just released to MyRye.com from the Rye City Schools:
Full Memo of Agreement between the Board of Ed and and Rye Teachers Association dated June 9, 2010.
The agreement was accepted by the teachers Thursday and ratified at a special Board of Ed meeting this Saturday.
# # #
After protracted and sometimes acrimonious negotiations that began back in 2006, MyRye.com has learned the Rye Teachers Association and Rye City Schools have reached a contract. Rye teachers have operated without a contract since 2007.
MyRye.com is waiting the hear further specifics, but the contract highlights are as follows:
- 6 year contract, retroactive to 2007-08 and runs through 2012-13
- Salary increases in each year are 1%/2%/1%/2%/1%/2%
- Proportion of health care costs paid for by the teachers starts at 8% in 07-08, increasing to 15% in 2012-13
- 3 new "half gates" or steps were added to the pay scale, effectively increasing the time it takes for a teacher to reach the top pay level from 15 to 18 years
- 3 professional development days already allotted to teachers can be used on an hourly basis, for meetings, shorter training
- No change in the length of the school day
What do you think of the contract settlement? Please leave a comment below.