The Rye Football Association and Rye City is laying down the law: no booze or other unsafe activities at the Rye "snowfield" – the parking area across from Nugent Field where game supporters often go for pre and post game tailgating.
Here is the email and the office policy:
Rye High School, Middle School, and our Club & Community teams have historically benefited by an enthusiastic community that turns out to cheer on and show support for all our male & female athletic programs from youth programs all the way up to the Varsity level.
Many individuals on a regular basis take advantage of the City of Rye’s “snow field “on the Boston Post Road as a parking area to attend various events either at the Rye High School or Middle School Complex or at Nugent Stadium.
Following an in-depth discussion between the Rye Community, The City of Rye Administration and its Council Leadership and the Rye City School District Administration and its School Board Leadership it has been concluded that it is in the best interest of the community at large and specifically our student athletes that moving forward a policy be developed concerning the use of the “snow field” area across from Nugent Stadium.
One of the corner stones of this policy is the vision that use of the snow field will be in accordance with New York State Law, City of Rye Statutes, NYS Educational Guidelines, and the Rye City School District’s Policies concerning the prohibition of public consumption of alcohol and open containers containing alcohol. This prohibition will be enforced by the Rye City Police.
THIS NOTICE SERVES AS A COURTESY TO THE COMMUNITY THAT IMMEDIATELY (10/01/2015) AND MOVING FORWARD THE CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL ON ANY AND ALL CITY PROPERTY (SNOW FIELD INCLUDED) WILL HAVE NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES LEADING UP TO A DAY IN COURT.
President of the 2015 RFA
Former Rye City Councilman and Rye City School Board Member
CITY OF RYE SNOW FIELD PARKING & TAILGATING POLICY
To establish clear guidelines for use of the area known as the City of Rye snow field (the “Snow Field”). The Snow Field is considered the fenced parking area across from Nugent Stadium. This policy sets forth rules for the safety and well-being of persons using the Snow Field. The safety of students and adults using the Snow Field is of paramount importance to the City of Rye. Anyone parking, attending an athletic event or tailgating shall strictly adhere to these rules.
It is the policy of the City of Rye that anyone using the Snow Field for parking while attending school, an athletic event or tailgating shall follow the rules set forth below. These rules are necessary for the safety of everyone using the Snow Field as well as traffic on Boston Post Road.
1. The laws of the City of Rye and the State of New York apply to all tailgating activities and to anyone using the Snow Field parking area. Any violation of this policy or the law may result in loss of Snow Field privileges and may subject a person to criminal prosecution.
2. Any person parking in the Snow Field shall use the designated driveways to enter/exit the Snow Field. “Curb hopping” is strictly prohibited.
3. Any person walking to/from the Snow Field across Boston Post Road shall use the designated cross walk areas. “Jay-walking” is strictly prohibited.
4. Tailgating is permitted within the Snow Field beginning two hours before game time and one hour after the game ends but never later than 10 PM. Students or other visitors attending a school function may park from 7 AM to 4 PM. Overnight parking is not allowed. There is no parking allowed after 10 PM.
5. Alcohol consumption is strictly prohibited and is a violation of both State Law and the City Code.
6. Glass beverage containers are prohibited within the Snow Field. No beverages of any kind shall be carried out of the Snow Field.
7. Charcoal and propane grills are permitted for food preparation purposes only. Open flames, including fire pits, are prohibited.
8. All individual tailgaters and groups organizing group tailgating events are responsible for cleaning up after themselves and removing their trash from the Snow Field.
9. All tailgaters are expected to comply with this policy and conduct themselves in a respectful, safe and responsible manner within the Snow Field at all times.