Expect Santa to crisscross the City of Rye on Tuesday, December 20th courtesy of the Rye Professional Firefighters Local 2029 union.
Look for the parade of fire trucks between 4pm and 6pm at these neighborhood locations. Rye firefighters will be escorting Santa and raising awareness about fire safety during the holidays.
The stops are as follows:
- Milton School 4:00pm – 4:10pm
- Rye Recreation 4:15pm – 4:25pm
- Highland Hall 4:30pm – 4:40pm
- Osborn School 4:50pm – 5:00pm
- John Jay Place 5:05pm – 5:15pm
- Rye Town Park 5:25pm – 6:00pm
All route times are approximate, and please be aware that all RFD units are all in service to respond to alarms.
Regarding Christmas trees and lights, The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) General safety tips include:
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
- Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Get rid of the tree after Christmas or when it is dry. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.