Giving Rye is a new occasional feature highlighting non-profits and community groups in and around the City of Rye. Today meet Erin Mantz of Rye Recreation.
Your Name: Erin Mantz
Organization: Rye Recreation
Your role: Superintendent
MyRye.com: Tell us your organization’s mission.
Mantz: The Rye Recreation Department strives to enrich the lives of our residents by providing safe and welcoming parks, facilities, recreation programs and events for people of all ages. We work in partnership with our residents and in cooperation with other recreation service providers in the community in order to maximize all available resources. We are dedicated to building healthy communities and enriching the quality of life through people, parks and programs.
How long have you operated in Rye?
Mantz: At least since 1948 – 75 years
What programming or work in Rye is the organization best known for?
- Rye Recreation Summer Day Camps. We provide summer camps for those age 3 to grade 8. Kiddy Camp, Day Camp and Camp 78. Camps also allow us to employ local young adults to be Junior Counselors and Counselors.
- Annual Special Events such as Halloween Window Painting and Turkey Run.
- Senior Adult Programs. We have a robust active senior adult population participating in weekly exercise classes, drop in games, bridge, mah-jongg, arts & crafts, trips, monthly luncheons and special events.
Looking forward to 2024, what will be your top initiatives?
- Continue to provide meaningful, fun, enriching programs for all ages.
- Continue the traditions of Rye Recreation but progress with the times and needs of the community.
- Expand and improve City Recreation facilities.
Tell us about the population you serve and how they can get involved with your programming and services.
Mantz: Rye Recreation is here to serve City of Rye Residents. Rye Recreation manages Recreation Park, Disbrow Park, Nursery Field, Gagliardo Park, Damiano Recreation Center and McDonald Building. We publish 4 seasonal activity brochures.
Are you a 501(c)(3) non-profit with tax exempt status?
Mantz: No – government municipality
Looking back across 2023, what were your organization’s top achievements?
- Spring Concert Series in the new Recreation Park Amphitheater.
- A total of 683 campers participated in our summer day camp program.
- Continuing to offer and provide a full array of services while being down a full time staff member.
How can local residents support your organization?
Mantz: Participate in our programs and events. Visit one of our facilities. Donate to the Camp Scholarship Fund.
What local Rye residents and area businesses have been the longest, steadiest supporters of your organization?
Mantz: We have so many supportive residents over the last 75 years. I would have to shout out those that sit and have sat on the Recreation Commission as a steadfast, dedicated, guiding light for the Recreation Department. Local Business: Jerry’s Post Road Market, Carpet Trends, Sportech, Pet Pantry, Rye Smiles Pediatric Dentistry, Longfords and all the businesses that have let us use there store front windows for Halloween Window Painting. Can always count on the following Local Groups to help support our special events and camp scholarship fund: Rye PBA, Rye Professional Firefighters Local 2029, American Legion Post 128, The Woman’s Club and Children’s Philanthropy, Kirby Golf Outing, Agatha Durland Foundation, Rye Lions Club.
Tell us about you:
How long have you been in your current role?
Mantz: I have worked for the City of Rye Recreation Department for a total of 11 years. I have been Superintendent for 1 year.
Is the role full time or part time? Paid or volunteer?
Mantz: Full Time. Paid.
How would your friends and family describe you in one word?
|Coke or Pepsi?
|Neither (don’t drink soda)
|Regular or diet?
|Action movie or rom com?
|Cook, order in or eat out?
|Dog, cat or no pet?
|Balsamic vinaigrette or ranch?
|Ruffles Original, Lay’s Barbeque or Funyuns?
|Still, sparkling or tap?
What is the kindest thing someone has ever done for you?
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why, and who would you take with you?
Mantz: Australia and hold a Koala. I would take my Husband and daughter.
What is your favorite streaming / TV series?
Mantz: Anything Bravo, Yellowstone, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Emily in Paris
What is your favorite movie?
Where do you live in Rye and how many years have you lived in the City?
Mantz: I grew up in Peekskill NY and currently live in Ridgefield, CT