(PHOTO: Rye guy and Westchester County boss George Latimer on HPN runway 16/34 during his May 20, 2020 press briefing on COVID-19.)
For Wednesday, Westchester reported the following City of Rye numbers:
198 total COVID-19 cases since inception;
19 active COVID-19 cases (this assumes the remaining 179 have run the average two week contagion cycle and are no longer active);
2 new COVID-19 cases
Rye guy and Westchester County boss George Latimer delivered his update from a very windy runway 16/34 at Westchester County Airport.
Runway 16/34 will reopen full length and width for aircraft operations on Thursday, May 21 at 8 a.m. The main runway closed for rehabilitation on April 27 during an extreme downturn in aviation activity at the airport, and construction that was projected to take three months was completed in just three weeks.
A silver lining of our global pandemic.
Runway 16/34 and the intersection that connects the runways were both closed for construction and repaving. The construction had originally been scheduled for later this fall, but the decision to move up the project was made to reduce any impact on flight activity during normal Airport operations. Any remaining construction that needs to be completed will take place during overnight hours, and the final completion date of October 10 has been moved up to mid-August.
Just like everyone else, Latimer is looking at the NY State COVID-19 tracker for county and state level statistics on the pandemic and at the NY State regional monitoring dashboard to see our progress towards reopening.
Important to note expanded reporting now shows fatality data from all nursing homes in the State, including The Osborn in Rye.
The COVID-19 numbers:
- Fatalities of Westchester residents: 1,305
- Fatalities at Westchester nursing homes – The Osborn Home in Rye is reporting five (5) confirmed COVID-19 deaths and five (5) presumed COVID-19 deaths thru May 19th (that’s no new confirmed deaths since the prior update). There is no data from Rye Manor or Vienna Senior Housing.)
- Fatalities in Westchester: 1,430
- Numbers of persons tested: 128,363
- Tested positive: 32,517
- % Positive results: 25.3%
- Persons tested today: 1,867
- New positives today: 115