Rye Crew had a great run at the New York State Scholastic Championship 2017 at Fish Creek, Saratoga Springs, NY May 13th-14th 2017.
(PHOTO: Rye Crew Women’s Lightweight Four+ landed Bronze.)
Rye High School Crew had a strong showing, competing in 27 events at the New York State Championships, coming away with seven medals, one championship title, one spot at the USRowing Youth Nationals Championship which will be held in Sarasota, Florida from June 9th-11th, and four spots at Scholastic Rowing Association of America (SRAA), which will be held at Camden, New Jersey May 26th-27th, 2017.
It was a great weekend of competitive rowing for Rye HS, in spite of the mostly inclement weather, though one that really shines above any previous years because of how broad the performances were across the board. Everyone on the team qualified for a Sunday Final and in the Men's Jr Doubles event, all 3 of Rye’s boats made the Finals.
The medal count went as follows:
* The Men's Lightweight Four+, (cox) Zach Szabo, and rowers Jack Hartman, Jimmy Cronin, Tim Rudolph-Math and John Dailey earned the gold medal becoming NY State Champions for the second year running and breaking the record for this event by racing the 1500 Meter course at Fish Creek in 4 minutes 55 seconds. This earned them bids to race in both the USRowing Youth National Championship and the SRAA Championship.
* Men’s Lightweight Quad: Hall Luthringer, Jake Moore, Troy Gilman and Alex Farres-Centano
* Men’s Junior Four+: (cox)Jillian Breen and rowers Troy Gilman, James Keller, Lachlan Nelson and Parker Vanamee and will compete at SRAA’s
* Men’s Lightweight Double: Tim Rudolph-Math and John Dailey
* Men’s Junior Double: Parker Vanamee and Lachlan Nelson
* Women’s Lightweight Four+: (cox) Zach Szabo, Kayla Patel, Shoshi Daniels, Iman Syed, Erica Kinstel
* Women’s Lightweight Double: Jillian Breen and Clara Sutherland
Both Bronze medallists will compete at SRAA Championship and at time of writing the Women’s Lightweight Double with Jillian Breen and Clara Sutherland are hoping to be accepted to race at USRowing Nationals, though not confirmed as yet.